Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Vent Free

 

“Houston, we are venting something out into space.” 


When Jim Lovell told that to the highly caffeinated and well-dressed members of Mission Control thousands of miles away in Texas, he was speaking for anyone who’s ever held a desk job. Venting, as you’ll see, is a fundamental part of getting through the day. I would argue that one of the main reasons the crew of Apollo 13 survived was due to their unique ability to vent freely. While it initially contributed to their perilous situation, they soon learned what an incredible gift it was to watch precious oxygen leave their midst. Finally, after all that training and all those rules, they were able to tell the bureaucrats down below the truth. And in this case, they lived because of it. 


Venting, even when the stakes are seemingly lower, cannot be understated. For some, the first day on the job is all handshakes and smiles. Free doughnuts and chit chat, paperwork and back pats. But not for me. I first take a self-guided tour of the building, seeing what I can learn without professional help. Once I hit a wall, often near an emergency exit or stairwell, I contact someone from the building staff. They have the maps, the schematics – which happen to be just what I’m looking for. 


What I want to know – what I absolutely need to know - is the proximity of my desk to the ventilation system. Now I don’t need to work directly under a vent – though that certainly wouldn’t hurt. However, the vent must be close. Because it’s where I’ll seek refuge when buckling under the stress or too anxious to hit the spacebar. But before I do so, climbing my way into the ceiling for a little HVAC me time, I must ensure that it can hold my weight. Though it may be hard to believe, very few systems were designed to hold the wayward employee on a mental sabbatical. So once that’s been determined to my satisfaction, I can gently tackle my duties worry-free. 


Venting happens all year long. Whether heating or cooling, every employee needs to know where to go to let loose and center themselves. Next time you’re in an aggravating situation, step away and open the first duct you see. Then take a deep breath and always make sure not to strip the screws when you first remove them. Otherwise, you’ll have a real chore reattaching the panel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment