Thursday, May 16, 2024

Emotional support

 

My emotional support animal has its own emotional support animal. It’s one thing for me to need a four-legged confidant when navigating the busy streets of a bustling city. It’s quite another for my dog to have someone to lean on during a hard day outside of the office. Does it mean walking three abreast is harder than two? Yes, obviously.

 

The job of my dog is to give me advice, help me get into spaces that are usually human-only. What’s hard for him is picking out the exact hydrant to urinate on. And having his own best friend, slightly shorter than him, doesn’t hurt. 

 

While I might need help boarding a plane, he needs one digging a hole, chasing a fire truck, or enjoying a piece of government issue postal carrier fabric. His emotional support animal legitimizes these interactions, helping them continue unabated for years to come. 

 

Plus, it gives all three of us lots to discuss during our nightly debriefing over kibble and chianti.

No comments:

Post a Comment