Tuesday, May 21, 2024

In theory

 

I don’t like music. I like music theory. Instruments are not necessary to appreciate music. People are always going on about how music is a language. But I already speak a language moderately well. I don’t need to know another one that’s based in numbers.  Instead of listening to a wonderful melody, I’d rather listen to two professors argue over the Phrygian mode than hum along to something remotely catchy. I’d like to understand who are these Phrygians and want do they want. What did they listen to? Did they foresee the musical revolutions to follow them or the preservation of food that bears their name? How did lowly Fridgians impact the refrigeration revolution? How often did their meals go bad? These are all questions that exist outside the realm of top forty radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment