Monday, October 17, 2022

Carrots and Corduroy

 

The following is an excerpt from my fortcoming memoir, Some Things I Did, in which I recount in painstaking detail the most inconsequential and boring moments from a life full of them. It’s not a celebration of success, nor is it a meditation on failure. Rather, it is a simple accounting of some stuff that occurred not too long ago. I will publish more in the future. Something we can all look forward to.


From an early age, Bugs Bunny was a hero of mine. He taught me the value of repetition and the power of a memorable catch phrase (a memorable catch phrase). Initially I wondered if “what’s up doc?” was a commentary on the United States healthcare system, or merely a reflection of his choice in friends. Being a celebrity, he was no doubt on a board or two, nurturing more than one expanding endowment. But even more than that, Bugs taught me how to eat. Long before the raw food craze of the early 21st century, there he was, an independent rabbit, surrounded by candy, cigarettes, and TV dinners, chomping away on a far healthier choice: wild carrots. This was my example. 

 

Oh, it must’ve been 2014 or so. A crisp March day. The sort of day you need shoes, but not gloves. You want sunglasses, but not ski goggles. Perfect for the seasonally bereft. 


In kindergarten, a classmate told me about the many benefits of carrots, including how it could practically give you X-ray vision. His attempt to demonstrate this began with a maraca. The boy explained how there were beads inside, ones no one else but him could see.


While he showed off his eyes, I must've rolled mine. What would be the first of many in the following three decades.


I’m not one to measure food. Although, I do have a yardstick hanging in my kitchen to swat at pests and pretend to conduct the New York philharmonic. I’ve always thought a conductor’s baton to be rather ineffectual in size and scope. Perhaps my background as a high school fencer of minor acclaim affects my view of other sword-like objects. 


You don’t expect to love corduroy the same way our culture promotes flannel and wool. Despite my distance from a tenure track professorship, I began wearing corduroy blazers. I never wanted to teach a graduate level philosophy course. I just wanted to look like I did. 


So on this early spring morning, staring into a nearly empty fridge, I donned my natty, ratty, tattered blazer, and took out the healthiest thing I could find. In this case it was a medium sized carrot. From my research, I knew I had to peel it first. Though Bugs never did such a thing. He went in fresh and unvarnished, probably ingesting more than his fair share of dirt in the process. But a cartoon character, however iconic, is not a nutritionist. 


There I was, walking down Broadway, one of Astoria’s main throughfares, eating a carrot. That’s until I reached the end of it; not of the street, but of the carrot. Mind you, this was long before city-wide composting. So I had nowhere to deposit this stump, besides the overflowing trashcans and open sewers. I looked everywhere for rabbits, but saw only rats and pigeons. Then I did the most sensible thing I could think of.


I ate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment