Friday, March 18, 2022

You're Cooked

Language matters, however you choose to slice it. Oops. I shouldn’t have said that. You see, despite a long love of sandwiches, I have never worked at a deli and really shouldn’t appropriate phrases like that into my normal speech.

I hear people all the time saying things like “now we’re cookin” or “bring home the bacon.” These are phrases tied up in certain historical experiences i.e. being a professional chef. Threatening someone by saying "you're toast" is best left to people who understand the subtle differences between marble rye and pumpernickel. Calling something "half-baked" without having a personal relationship with Paul Hollywood is a sin of the highest order. 


Stick to metaphors that are in line with your chosen profession. It’s okay to say, “I’m feeling pretty backed up,” if you’re either a long haul trucker or a plumber. 


Sure smells like a recipe for disaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment