Thursday, July 7, 2022

Throat Clearing in America

 


Before I bring you the broiled trout you ordered, there are a few things you should know. For one, it’s tonight’s special, which doesn’t mean trout is any more special than another type of fish. Far from it. All fish are created equal, even bottom feeders. 


Trout is a nutritious freshwater fish, enjoyed far and wide. A fish enjoyed by the ocean-going salmon lover. But it’s not salmon. And despite the similarities in appearance, there are major differences. Trout is far more inclusive than its seafaring cousin. What do you think Rainbow Trout is?  


I should say simply that it’s a good fish. Then again, how would I know? When most people claim such and such meal is “good” they are almost always overlooking the moral dimension. I don’t know how this trout lived before ending up on your plate. I don’t know what it thought about the direction of the country or the burst of comic book movies striking a serious blow at cinema. 


I prefer to say it’s good that you ordered it. I feel comfortable going that far. But good? Not today. Not tomorrow. In fact, the knowledge that it was a good fish ought to prevent you or anyone from eating it. Goodness is a powerful force. How would it feel to know you just consumed the trout-equivalent of the Dalai Lama? Happy belated birthday, by the way. I should be careful not to offend any members of the Chinese government since they are often, well-paying customers.


Oh and one last thing. Do watch out for bones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment