Monday, April 1, 2024

Don’t Give me "Babe Ruth in the woods" routine

 

SHOHEI OHTANI AND HIS INTERPRETER INTERVIEWED BY THE DA.  

 

He doesn’t want to go anyplace the pitcher doesn’t hit.

 

That’s not really up to him, especially considering the state of his elbow post-surgery. Besides, most leagues replaced pitchers hitting with the DH. 

 

He’s already started having a catch. He should be ready by Bastille Day, possibly even the Fourth of July, .

 

If he’s legitimately healthy, we’ll take that under consideration when looking to place you in a Witness Protection league. In the first few innings, you might have to wear a fake beard until we have sufficiently canvased the grandstands. 

 

He wants to know, what about his old teammates? 

 

What about them? 

 

Am I going to shag flies with them, field grounders, rub the belly of the giggling mascot? Don’t I have some kind of contact with them? That is the point of baseball: contact. 

 

No. And I didn’t know the dodgers had a mascot. 

 

You mean, God forbid, someone gets shelled in a game they need a relief pitcher, I can’t come in out of the bullpen. 

 

Maybe, if the game is really out of hand and there’s nobody left in the stadium, something can be worked out.    

 

I can’t do this. This is me the interpreter talking now. What if he goes somewhere that doesn’t need interpretation? 

 

That’s right. I don’t care whether you go or not. But he’s not going back to Japan, so that shouldn’t be a problem. 

 

You need Shohei, you don’t need me.

 

But if it’s gonna make him a happier hitter, a better hitter having someone translate the menus of every fancy restaurant, I’d like you to be with him. We’re gonna keep his career alive. You can try to stay in the big leagues without our help, but that’s a real gamble. And not one a player usually wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment