Friday, January 14, 2022

Who's On Worst?


This routine was recently discovered beneath the floorboards of a Paterson, New Jersey bowling alley – if you must know, it was between the 7 and 8 pins. The game has fallen out of favor in the Garden State, since people are not sure where to stick their fingers safely, given the last 18th months of sanitization. Oddly prescient, hardly prurient, it deals with issues of our day. There is the theory that it was created by the hologram, one I roundly reject. But here it is, nonetheless. 


Abbott: Hello, Costello. Are you up to date on insulting and objectionable language?   

 

Costello: I think so, but it’s early January, so things like that are subject to change.

 

Abbott: Would you like to know more about speech you should avoid? 

 

Costello: Sure, but you’ll have to tell me what to say. I want to hear it verbatim. ‘Cause I can’t afford to get in trouble.

 

Abbott: Oh, I can do that. What you can and can’t say has only gotten odder over the years.

 

Costello: You mean like weird things? 

 

Abbott: Strange things, bizarre things. Like oriental rugs. Once okay, now no way. 

 

Costello: How about calling toupées rugs? 

 

Abbott: Not anymore. Since it offends the bald and the rugman alike. 

 

Costello: Interesting. So tell me the new rules, if you would be so kind? 

 

Abbot: With pleasure. It’s offensive, that’s problematic, and I can’t say what’s next.  

 

Costello: Go on.

 

Abbott: I have.

 

Costello: You know the words I should watch out for.

 

Abbott: Yes.

 

Costello: The words that will cause us trouble in our act.

 

Abbott: Yes.

 

Costello: So tell me what’s offensive.

 

Abbott: It’s offensive. 

 

Costello. What is?

 

Abbott. No.

 

Costello: Let’s say I say something offensive. 

 

Abbott: Be careful, Lou. We’re on the air.

 

Costello: I know, I know. But whatever I say, you’re saying that’s offensive no matter what. 

 

Abbott: That’s problematic.

 

Costello: What is it?

 

Abbott: That. 

 

Costello: So it’s offensive. 

 

Abbott: Yes.

 

Costello: What?

 

Abbott: I can’t say. 

 

Costello: It’s problematic?

 

Abbott: It’s offensive.

 

Costello: What is?

 

Abbott: That.


Costello: You don't say.

 

Applause, laughter, a few tears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment