Thursday, September 22, 2022

Make a Killing

 

For many in the Big Apple, lanterflies are latest obsession, much in the same way waiting in line for cronuts or despising De Blasio once were. And while invasive species are something people tell me I should, as a fruit lover, care about, I don’t. What’s concerning is the bloodlust I never knew lay dormant within many of my neighbors.


The other day, I left my office and saw a young woman gleefully slaughter a swarm of pests with her yoga mat. A generally docile colleague ran across four lanes of traffic to stomp a group of pests congregating on the sidewalk. When I ask them, they respond, “I was told to kill” or “The city gave its ordes.” Both fair and accurate, but is no one here questioning the carnage left in our colorful wake? 


For one thing, the flies are rather pretty. Aren't they? Prettier than most insects who avoid our total societal condemnation. What I see is that many people are just looking for excuses to kill. All they need is the order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment